Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

I am suffering from Ankylosing spondylitis. What is the treatment ?

Dear Doctor , I am 28 year Man working in Army, I am suffering from Ankylosing spondylitis since 2008. I am taking Saaz DS tab twice a Day. Please tell me Any treatment in the India or outside India to make me well again. what is the cause of this disease..??? please tell some suggestions to live a healthy life..... Thanking you
Asked On : Fri, 23 Sep 2011
Answers:  3 Views:  369
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
  User's Response
ankylosing spondylitis is believed to be genetically inherited diseases.
medications to reduce inflammation and/or suppress immunity to stop progression of the disease, physical therapy, and exercise. Medications decrease inflammation in the spine and other joints and organs. Physical therapy and exercise help improve posture, spine mobility, and lung capacity.
Answered: Sun, 25 Sep 2011
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Aashish Raghu's  Response
Welcome to Healthcare Magic
Ankylosing spondylitis is an autoimmune arthritis which affects the spine, making it stiff and also affects large joints of shoulder, hip, lower back and possibly knee as well. The best treatment is pain killers and exercise therapy. The best exercise therapy is Swimming as it helps reduce progression of spinal disease as well. The drug of choice for this disease is Phenylbutazone. Do discuss with your Doctor in this regard for various therapies available for you. Eat high protein diet like cereals, pulses, chicken, eggs, lean meat, plenty of fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables. Drink plenty of water. There will be risk of heart disease, eye problem as well for which you will need effective treatment. Do consult with Eye Doctor in this regard. You can live with this disease more comfortably with proper medication and exercise and also prevent from heart disease with proper checkup and treatment.
Answered: Sat, 24 Sep 2011
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Alok Ranjan's  Response
No cure is known for AS, although treatments and medications are available to reduce symptoms and pain.
Physical therapy and exercise, along with medication, are at the heart of therapy for ankylosing spondylitis. Physiotherapy and physical exercises are preceded by medical treatment to reduce the inflammation and pain, and are commonly followed by a physician. This way the movements will help in diminishing pain and stiffness, while exercise in an active inflammatory state would just make the pain worse. Normal occupations may be precluded by the symptoms of the disease.
Some may require the help of walking aids, such as a cane, to help assist in balance and relieve some pressure on affected joints while walking and standing. Many with AS find it very difficult to sit or stand for prolonged periods of time, which can be as little as 20 minutes; therefore, many need to alternate times of sitting and standing, as well as times of rest.
Medical professionals and experts in AS have speculated that maintaining good posture can reduce the likelihood of a fused or curved spine which occurs in a significant percentage of diagnosed persons.
Answered: Sat, 24 Sep 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor