Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for dry,itchy and scaly skin on neck when suffering from kidney disease

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12754 Questions
I am in the early stages of kidney disease. The skin on my neck is dry, scaling. extremely red, itching and feels diffrent what can this be. It is becoming painful. It is in the creases of my neck
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Likely to be dermatitis. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The changes in the skin which you have on your neck is likely to be a type of dermatitis. As you probably know there are several different classes of dermatitis. This includes allergic bacterial and fungal among others. There are inflammatory conditions also which could contribute to this kind of thing. The generally best way to treat this is with a topical cream which has both a mild steroid element and an antifungal cream. The active ingredients of this cream includes hydrocortisone and the antifungal clotrimazole. Your doctor will be able to provide you with a prescription for this. The brand name of the cream is Lotrisone. I would expect the areas of irritation to slowly respond and improve over two to three weeks. In case the peeling of the skin increases then do consult your dermatologist for stronger prescription medicines. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for dry,itchy and scaly skin on neck when suffering from kidney disease 17 hours later
Thank-you for your response. The pain is almost unbearable today. The rash has wrapped around my neck from back to front and the pain in my shoulder under my neck lets me know I need to see someone. It looks like someone has tried to strangle me with a huge rope. However the pain is burning and stinging and stabbing.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Take ibuprofen Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. You can start with a mild pain killer like ibuprofen for pain relief. Since the rash is spreading and has involved the front of neck too it is best to consult a dermatologist for the specific treatment. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor