• question-icon

Suggest treatment for dry skin with itchy eyes

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My skin throughout my body is excessively dry. I believe this dryness is also affecting my eyes as the are constantly itching.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Management of dry skin

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
I would recommend you to avoid using soap, avoid using hot water for bathing instead use lukewarm or cold water, go for regular oiling of body and wear cotton clothes.
Besides this you can use cetaphil restoraderm lotion twice daily on the entire body.
This will keep your skin moisturised.
In severe cases of dryness I recommend my patients to take capsule containing evening primrose oil 1000 mg once daily for 2-3 months.
This is a prescription drug and you need to see the doctor in person to get it.
For eyes I recommend my patients to use artificial tears containing carboxymethylcellulose sodium. It has to be used as 1 drop thrice daily for 1 week followed by 1 drop twice daily for next week and lastly 1 drop once daily for the third week.
This will relieve dry eyes but I don't know whether these are available as over the counter medicine.
Dr Asmeet

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist