What causes weakness in the left side of the mouth?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: Weakness on the left side of my mouth
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need further workup for Bell's palsy

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to HealthcareMagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in the best way possible. First of all, it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, you need to promptly get evaluated by a neurologist in detail for cranial nerves examination especially the facial nerve to rule out Bell's palsy. CT scan brain may also be needed preferably with contrast or MRI to be followed with.

Infective causes (e.g. Lyme's disease) and autoimmune workup may also be needed. A short course of oral steroids may be helpful along with B12 and folic acid supplements.

If eye closure is impaired artificial tears and closing of eyelids with eye pads may also be needed.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Hope this has answered your question. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee