What causes bloodshot eyes along with pressure behind the eyes?

Question
I am an 80 year old male and I have had a blood shot condition first in the right eye and now the same thing in my left eye. I do feel some pressure behind the eye. My vision doesn't seem to be effected. I do wear corrective lens. The condition lasted for about a week in my right eye and now it just started in my left eye. There in no discharge from the eye.
Fri, 11 May 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need slit lamp examination and intraorbital pressures measurements

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, the blood may be due to vitreous hemorrhage however retina has small blood vessels which can also burst due to multiple reasons and cause flame shapped hemorrhage but since vision is unaffected and the condition is painful, after a slit lamp examination an estimation of intraorbital pressures as it can also lead to such painful eyes and that of course needs an opthalmologist review.

I would suggest not to use contact lenses for the time being and rinse eyes with cold water repeatedly. Using OTC analgesics like acetaminophen will also help.

Pouring artificial tears drops to avoid dry eyes as that can aggravate the symptoms is preferred. Over usage of screens like computer monitors etc should be avoided.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your question. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards.