Suggest treatment for dizziness, shortness of breath and heart palpitations

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question:

I live in Michigan. It has been in the high 80's, few points in the 60's and 70's, and of course humid. I drink at least 64 oz. Of water a day due to anti-depressants (cymbals, Zoloft, viibryd, and 2mg of Ability), I always take water with me. Saturday I went to the pet store and to get a few groceries. I was only gone an hour and a half. By the time I left grocery store, I was dizzy, short of breath, heart racing and weak. I kept drinking water. By the time I got home, I had one severe bought of diarrhea and took what seemed forever to feel normal. I am 65, 170-175 lbs. Could this have been a sudden onset of dehydration ?? And when I do go out, should I take a drink with more of the electrolytes in them. ?? I hope I gave enough information. Thank you. Michelle XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Food poisoning symptoms; coconut water for electrolytes

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

What you described sounds more like an acute episode of gastroenteritis due to having eaten something that was contaminated - food poisoning symptoms. Toxins released in food when in the gut can cause the light headedness, heart racing, and then diarrhea.

You have been doing well at keeping yourself well hydrated. And the situational conditions you described don't sound like they would be likely to cause dehydration, even with the meds you take.

When you go out, consider getting coconut water (not coconut milk) or Gatorade, as these can help replace electrolytes lost from the diarrhea. If you do not feel well enough to go out, please let me know and I can suggest making an electrolyte solution at home (although having things on hand for the potassium part of it can be tricky).

I hope this information helps.