Suggest treatment for dizziness, blurred vision and balance problems

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi! I am 35 years old and have been experiencing vertigo, dizziness, balance issues and blurred vision after a car accident that occured 2 months ago. They did an MRI of the brain and it noted that a mega cisterna magna is noted but that the ventricles and subarachnoid spaces are appropriate for my age. Ive had 2 mris of the brain in the past prior to this accident for headaches and both those mris never noted mega cisterna magna. My neurologist doesnt seem concerned and in fact didnt even mention it as o found it when i read the results.

He claims the dizziness, vertigo is all related to the whiplash injury and the herniated disc i have in my neck.

I just want to be sure this result is not indicative of a brain cyst. In addition since my prior mris of the brain did not show this i was wondering could this be a result of the accident?

I should mention that when my neurologist was reviewing the results with me he said that this radiologist where i took the mri tends to over read the films.

Any insight is appreciated.
Thank you for your input. I guess I dont have to worry about a cyst since there would be more issues scene on the MRI even without contrast, correct? I am going to give you an excellent rating as you have been responsive and more than thorough

Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Don't worry about mega cisterna magna.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Krissyc2036
Thanks for writing to HCM

As we discussed earlier,you shouldn't worry about mega cisterna magna.It is a completely benign condition and it is just a normal developmental variation.
It is a harmless condition.
Your symptoms are due to nerve involvement in cervical region. Intervertebral disc prolapse causes compression on the exiting nerve roots and this causes symptoms.
There are many treatment modalities available for disc prolapse which can be discussed with your neurologist like TENS(Trans cutaneous electric nerve stimulation),ozone ablation,endoscopic disectomy etc.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX