Suggest treatment for difficulty in gaining weight of a person with Crohn's disease

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: Hello, I'm 26 years old. I been battling my underweight issue since I was a kid. I am 130 pounds and 6 ft 1in. I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease and been taking pentasa to help. I eat anywhere from 2500-3000 calories a day. I workout 3x a week. I have a balanced diet. However, I have yet to gain anything even though I been working with a personal trainer. It is frustrating doing everything to the T and not seeing any results. I been tested for everything and found nothing. I was helping to get some answers why I haven't gained anything. What are some alternatives.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its your ongoing Crohn's disease that's the main problem.

Detailed Answer:
I warmly Welcome you!

Thanks for consulting me at virtual clinic. I have carefully worked through your case, and I can realize your health worries. Being your physician, I assure you not to worry as I will take care all of your medical concerns.

Its Crohn's disease that is lacking you behind on targets for weight gain. Nevertheless, you are taking a valuable diet rich in calories, good exercise routine and all that, but the disease is causing problems with the absorption of macro- and micro-nutrients and you are not observing the outcome of all of that input.

I suggest to my patients at clinic "Immunocal whey protein isolate powder supplement". It helps improve the Immune system and revitalize the bodily systems to fight against diseases that you are already facing.

Take plenty of fluids and fresh fruits, no junk foods and soda, take high fiber diet. Take 1glass of coconut water daily. It's rich in dietary fiber and other important nutrients.

Hope it helps today. May you get very well soon and have a wonderful time ahead.

Regards!

DR. HANIF
XXXXXXX USA
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Hanif 13 hours later
Thank you I will certainly try it. As far as the supplement goes, do you have any suggestions on what brand would be the best?
Nevermind. I just looked it up. However, I do have one quick question. I am taking multivitamin and fish oil. Both are okay to take with my condition correct?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes Multivitamins and Fish oil is ok for you.

Detailed Answer:
I warmly Welcome you back!

Yes you may take multivitamins and the fish oil capsules together for more than a year for strength. But don't leave physical activity,that is the backbone for your goals of health.

I am happy that you managed to get some good brand for supplements by yourself.

Hope it helped you today. If you need further, detailed and quick assistance related to any health issues, feel free to 'ask me a question' directly from my profile.
You can also attach Lab reports and pictures directly from the question window, or by emailing it to YYYY@YYYY with the Subject as, Attention: Dr. Muhammad Hanif, and the lab reports and images will directly reach my inbox for review.

May you get very well soon and have a wonderful time ahead. Please don't forget to give your valuable feedback and five star rating, to help me assist you in a better way in future too. Please, write a review about your experience with me.

Regards!

DR. HANIF
XXXXXXX USA

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Muhammad Hanif