• question-icon

Suggest dosage for Mesalamine

Posted on Tue, 19 Sep 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am in Costa Rica and my Lialda prescription will run out before I can get back to XXXXXXX due to the flooding. Can you recommend any equivalent alternatives that are available in Costa Rica? It seems that neither Lialda or mesalamine is listed in the Costa Rica pharmacy manuals. I'm currently taking one 1.2GM Lialda per day. Thanks. 
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please follow..

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!

With regards to mesalamine listed in Costa Rica pharmacy manuals I can say that are available some mesalamine drugs like :
- Asacol 400 mg and you can use it three times per day. It is equivalent with Lialda 1.2 g that you are using currently.
- pentasa 500 mg
- mesalamine Damipe 500 mg
Hope it was helpful to you.
Dr. Klerida
Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 2 hours later
Thank you for the information. I managed to locate a pharmacy that had Pentasa Mesalazina 500 mg. The pharmacist said to take 1 a day. Is that sufficiently equivalent to the Lialda dosage that I'm on?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
4 tablets of pentasa are sufficient for yo.

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,
Since you are in remission for UC the recommended dosage of pentasa is 2 g per day. It means that you need 4 tablet per day. One tablet is not sufficient for you.
Wish you health.
Dr.Klerida
Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist