Suggest treatment for diarrhea, nausea and fever

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My symptoms are: greasy soft more frequent stool starting about 5-6 days ago decreasing in 3-4 days: followed by stomach upset, with stomach growling and rumbling, some low grade nausea and low grade weakness. Is this probably the stomach flu ??
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes, it sounds like stomach flu/infection of the gastrointestinal tract

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Yes, it is likely the stomach flu/infection of the gastrointestinal tract.

In most persons the symptoms last less than 1 week- 10 days, rarely beyond this time frame.

Treatment is usually symptomatic, meaning treating the symptoms present without addressing the specific cause of the symptoms (the particular virus or bacteria causing the infection).

The hand washing and pepcid were definitely appropriate along with rest and fluids to replace what you are losing with the frequent bowel movements.
If the nausea persists or is disturbing then dramamine or peptobismol can be added.

Use bland foods, if you are still eating, til the symptoms abate. If the symptoms are severe or there is loss of appetite or food causing loose stools then hold off solids till there is a 4 hour window with no symptoms.
When this occurs start with a small amount of dry bland foods.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions