Suggest treatment for dark spots on the legs, hands and back

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 9 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Can you please suggest how to reduce dark spots on legs, hands and back.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Answer few questions, upload pictures

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
Dark spots on legs,hands and back can be due to itching on the skin.
For how long are you using melacare cream?
Are you having dry skin or history of eczema?
Are you having any other ailments or taking any medicines?
I would recommend you to upload the photographs of the affected areas so that I can have a clearer picture of the condition and can guide you accordingly.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 35 minutes later
I have stop using the cream 1 year ago. Yes, I am having dry skin. No, medicines i am using.I had uploaded the photos. Dark spots are not reducing tried many home remedies too
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation and its management

Detailed Answer:
I have reviewed the attached photographs and these spots seem to be post inflammatory hyperpigmented lesions secondary to itching and scratching.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to apply a Hydroquinone 4 percent cream on the spots at night for 4-6 weeks.
Various brands containing hydroquinone are melalite forte cream, melanorm cream and brite cream.
Along with this apply a broad spectrum sunscreen like suncros lotion or photostable lotion on the entire sun exposed areas during the day time and a moisturising lotion containing white soft paraffin like moisturex soft lotion or olesoft lotion or cetaphil moisturising lotion on entire legs, arms and back in the morning after bath and at night after application of Hydroquinone cream.
Also take an antioxidant like capsule Antoxid HC or capsule Exerge once daily for 6-8 weeks.
These are prescription drugs and should be used under the supervision of the doctor.
Dr Asmeet
Thank u for the help. i will start using this medicines.Can you please suggest the cream which reduce the darkness a lot in week.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Welcome!!

Detailed Answer:
Welcome!!
There are no creams which will cause immediate lightening but for quicker results you can apply a steroid cream like clobetasol propionate cream on the affected spots for 10-14 days but don't prolong its use as its long term use can cause side effects.
After that shift to hydroquinone cream.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 38 hours later
My underarms is also dark. i tried many home remedies but it is not reducing. What is reason for underarms tanning. Can you please suggest something which can reduce the tan.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Go for depigmenting creams, chemical peels

Detailed Answer:
Underarms tanning can be due to use of deodorant, eplitaing creams or acanthosis nigricans.
You can use depigmenting cream containing kojic acid on the affected areas twice daily for 6-8 weeks.
If cream doesn't help you much you can go for sessions of chemical peels.