Suggest treatment for dark skin on knees and elbow

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Sun Burn
Question: Hi, I have dark knees and elbow and would like to wear dresses which expose these areas. Can you pls advise what can be done to remove the darkness?
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Exfoliate the area and use a hydrating cream

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Dry skin and friction leads to darkening of knees and elbow.
To treat the same
1) Apply xerina cream two to three times in a day over affected area. It is a good hydrating cream with lightening effect and also exfoliates the area by removing dead cells.
2) Apply salicyclic acid ointment 12 percent ( salicyclix) over affected area in night. Salicylic acid would peel away the dry dead cells thus helping in lightening.
3) Prior to bathing apply a mixture of gram flour, milk cream,lemon juice and turmeric . Keep it for 10 minutes and then scrub it off .
4) Use a loofah over affected ares while batihng three times in a week.
5) Use a good sunscreen daily.

Hopefully in two to three weeks your knees and elbow would become better.
Once results are achieved just continue with xerina cream and home remedies, discontinue salicyclyx ointment.
Hope this answered your query.