Suggest treatment for constant leg pain that effect sleep

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: My legs ache constantly. They twitch and jump of their own accord. I cannot sleep. I walk the floor for hours. I am exhausted. I had an ankle fusion and it's been worse than ever. It is all day now. I have a drop foot from my surgery. I have taken meds for RLS for years. They don't help at all. My doctor saidI have too much Vitamin D. Is this what is causing this? I took .25 clonazapam two nights ago and slept all nov. I took it last night again and slept for the first time in months. Is this the med for me?
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
no you can't take clonazapam regular ly

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I have studied your case.
excess vitamin D will lead to nausea and vomiting. so it is less likely in your case.
There is possibility of muscle cramp
leading to such symptoms.
Another possibility of lumbar canal stenosis
Can be there.
I will advise to further investigate like MRI spine.
Due to multiple surgery there can be weakness in lower limb muscle.
clonazapam can be taken occasionally only consulting your doctor.
I hope I have answered your questions. If you have further questions please feel free to ask. I will be happy to answer your question. Take care.