Suggest treatment for conjunctivitis

Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Fri, 24 Jun 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hi doctor, I am suffering from conjuctivitis for the past three days. Though there is no pain, my eyes are red and tiny (swollen). When will i get completely cured?? I am the medication for which the prescription is attached. Please let me know if that is fine or do i need to take something extra??
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
viral allergy and foreign body

Detailed Answer:
You are suffering from conjunctivitis it is red and swollen. As per the prescription you are taking tobramycin eye drop and cap augment in. It is uniocular the other eye is not effected. It has taken more then required time. Considering the time taken it appears to be allergic or viral conjunctivitis. In case of viral Conjunctivitis,is self limiting it should have started regressing but discharge should have been watery. In allergic conjunctivitis main symptom would have been itching, and other problems are normal. In this case there is no need of any antibiotic drop. I will suggest levocetrizine 5mg once a day in the morning and cromal eye drop to be applied three times daily.You can apply refresh eye tear drop also nothing more is required. You will recover and will be completely cured.The only precaution is you should stop using any cosmetic.
If any pet in the house then avoid coming near it.It may be spores in the air which you cant avoid.Other probability is foreign body in affected eye, which is to be examined by an eye doctor and should be removed.Wash the eye with clean water and apply Ofloxacin 0.3%eye drop 3times daily.Apply neosporine eye ointment at bedtime.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D