question-icon

Suggest treatment for cold, wheeziness, cough with yellow phlegm, and fever

Posted on Thu, 23 Aug 2018
Question: I have bad cough, wheezing (flu test negative) and my dr. gave me inhaler, steroid shot, and prednisone as I was not running a fever when I saw her, nor was was I coughing anything up. Last night I did have a fever of 100, and this morning coughing up yellow mucus. Should I just be on a Z pack instead or with?
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James (22 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
if feeling worse, shortness of breath or repeat wheezing

Detailed Answer:

Fever can occur with viral or bacterial infection. It is part of your body's inflammatory response to any infection.
Yellow mucus or discharge can occur with viral infections as well.
Since both of these can occur with viral infections, they would not necessarily be indicators of bacterial infection and the need for antibiotics.

If however you are feeling generally worse or there is repeated wheezing or shortness of breath, then this may mean that you need a prescription for z pak or another antibiotic.

You can also add paracetamol/tylenol to help with the fever.

Hope I have answered your query.

Take care,
Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Dr. Michelle Gibson James