Suggest treatment for chronic migraine

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I've had chronic migraines for the last three years . I've been all types of medications . I'm allergic to Botox . The only relief I really get is to sleep it off with ibuprofen. I get more than 15 migraines a month . Two QME told me I'm pretty much permanent and stationary regarding migraines . To stay on ibuprofen since it's the only type of relief I get . Another neurologist from my retirement claim said I'm over medicated . That's the reason I have apt of migraines . I was in a car accident with concussion at work that's why I have migraines . I'm only on ibuprofen . He said I have rebound headaches . Aren't headaches and migraines different ? I'm not getting headaches I'm getting migraines . I also don't take ibuprofen daily it's as needed . Do you believe im getting rebound headaches ? Headaches don't come with migraine symptoms . I start vomiting , light sensitivity , memory loss . Do you believe ibuprofen is doing this to me ? I ve gotten off ibuprofen before and my migraines didn't go away
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow advices as below

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concern.
You are having chronic migraine. Sometimes overuse of pain killers leads to migraine with medication overuse headache.
The management of migraine is detailed below.
Precautions and prevention like timely breakfast and lunch, avoiding fasting, excessive tea, coffee or chocolates.
Avoiding any food triggers or bright sunlight.
Prophylaxis drugs like flunarizine, propranolol, topiramate, divalproate or amitriptyline can be used under Neurologist guidance.
The increase in dose is gradual.
Take minimal possible pain killers.
Hope you found the answer helpful
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad