Suggest treatment for childhood vitiligo

Dr. Ilyas Patel

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Sir,my son ,six years old, developed white patches ,75% are round in shape and about one inch in diameter, for the last 1.6 years. Spots are not pinkish and milky white but some are off white and only three are white though not milky white. Borders are not distinct. Dermatologist diagnosed it as vitiligo and prescribed betrosol forte along with tacroz. One dermatologist only pesribed tacroz saying that betrosol is steroid and can cause side effects. Tacroz is used for six months without any effect. Spots are spreading. Betrsol not started yet keeping in mind his age. Sir, too much worried. Plz suggest what to do?
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Vitiligo

Detailed Answer:

Your son seems to have childhood vitiligo...as diagnosed by your dermatologist. The disease process seems active. That is why it is spreading. You are applying tacrolimus on the patches...ok

Vitiligo is an autoimmune and partially inherited disease with unpredictable prognosis. It is responsible for cosmetic disability and that is why one should be aware of of its managemet.Exact cause is unknown. Autoimmunity is widely accepted theory.

I would like to add few drugs to be taken by your son, but under observation of your dermatologist...

- trimethoxsalen 5 mg tab daily in morning
- levamisole 50 mg tab daily at night

Both the drugs may be given for few months or till good response.

- herbal preparation like whitcare lotion to apply at noon daily followed by exposure to sun for 10 min.
- tacrolimus 0.1% oint To apply at night.

Above treatment might produce follicular pigmentation or might lighten the patches after few months to few years. You have to keep patience.

Your son should avoid injury,scratching and rubbing the skin, these may activate disease process.

I hope you got my answerr.. Still any query..you may ask.

Thanks.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ilyas Patel 52 minutes later
Sir, will these patches continue and cover the whole body? At present we are applying one herbal cream 'pigmento' containing psolaria colyrifolia,acacia catchu etc. And the 'pigmento' tablet of same composition is administered twice a day. Should we stop using that?
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Vitiligo

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back.

As I told you that vitiligo is a disease with unpredictable prognosis. In some patient little treatment give good result, in other exaustive treatment is also not helpful. So, I would like to advise you to start the treatment as suggested in previous post. You may continue pigmento tab and cream along with that.

Hope for the good.

After long term treatment you may get promising results. But, consult dermatologist ok...

Thanks.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj