Suggest treatment for patches of alopecia areata in a child

Dr. Ilyas Patel

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My 5 year old had double eye surgery back in December. 6 weeks post she developed a bald spot. I took her to a dermatologist and they said she had alopecia areata and gave her a steroid cream. the hair is growing back. Now, 2 months post she has developed another dime size bald spot. is this common after surgery? When should I be concerned by about her bald spot? Could we expect to see more bald spots?
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Alopecia areata

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM....

I can understand your concern for the new patches of alopecia areata in your child. The alopecia areata is an autoimmune skin disease. The exact cause is not known. But,stress in any form might precipitate the disease. In your daughter, stress related to surgery may be the cause.

Do not worry about new patches of alopecia. They will be recovered with or without treatment. It is unpredictable to say about relapse of alopecia areata patches.
But, it is curable disease.

I would suggest...

- levamisole 50 mg tablet daily
- biotin 5 mg tablets daily
- tacrolimus 0.1% solution to apply on bald patches

Continue treatment till the satisfactory result. If needed,intradermal steroid injections may be considered.

Kindly take treatment after consulting nearby dermatologist.

Hope this would help you...if so,rate with 5 stars.

Thanks.

Dr.Ilyas Patel MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad