Suggest treatment for bruise on the face and under the ears

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 9 Sep 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Yesterday i had a cardioversion ( my sevond one) last night i found a bruise on my face under my ear, bruise is like a whelp not flat. What could cause this
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your bruise seems to be related to the manual pressure in this region

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern, and would like to explain that the most probable cause of this bruise is the pressure on this region during the manual maneuvers, performed by the anesthesiologist, pulling your lower jaw forward, in order to assure free airways during the procedure .

Taking into consideration that you on anticoagulation therapy, a small pressure in this point of the jaw, has lead to a small subcutaneous hemorrhage.

So there is nothing to worry about. It will go away spontaneously in a week.

Hope to have been of help!

Feel free to ask any other questions, whenever you need.

Best regards,
Dr. Iliri

Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 3 minutes later
What kind of manual pressure would be applied, thought only thing was pads one front one back
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is a normal procedure in unconscious patients

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

There are different maneuvers like the head-tilt/chin-lift and jaw-thrust maneuvers which are used to prevent the tongue from falling back and obstructing the airways, when the patient is unconscious (like during the cardioversion procedure).

These are normal procedures, performed before all interventions.

The head-tilt/chin-lift technique lifts the tongue from the back of the throat, preventing it from obstructing it.

After this procedure an oxygen mask is put on your face or the patient is intubated ( like before surgical interventions).

This technique is also taught on most first aid courses as the standard way of clearing an airway. It is also used during accidents, as a procedure of the cardio-respiratory resuscitation.

Hope to have been of help!

Greetings! Dr. Iliri