Suggest treatment for bruise on leg

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I hit my leg with the corner of a box... it is a little sore.. it seems to be healing but the edges look like they are bruised.. is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need some details

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help.

I understand how this might cause you some concern, but if possible could you attach an image of the affected region to our discussion, this would greatly help me in analyzing the current condition of the wound.

Could you also provide me with a little more information ma'am, I would really appreciate a few answers:
-Are you on any medications other than the ointment? (eg. blood thinning medication)
-Is this an open wound or a closed one? As in was there bleeding, or exposed flesh?
-What surface was the box? (eg. metal, wood, etc.)
-When did the injury take place?

Thank you so much for your co-operation. For the time being, if the initial antibiotic ointment was applied and the wound was cleaned with an alcoholic solution, then please leave it open and uncovered as it should dry up and take lesser time to heal with such an approach.

Looking forward to your kind response to be able to better understand your condition and help you more accurately.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T