• question-icon

What causes sharp pain in the left side of the chest?

Posted on Thu, 13 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi I have sharp chest pain in the the top left hand side of my chest when i move ie bend over or do any physical exercise it does not affect breathing as i run 5 miles 4 times a week. could you point me in the right direction.

i Have had the pain on and off for 2 years first noticed it when running long distances. or using rowing machine
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like a muscular pain

Detailed Answer:
Welcome.
This is Dr Sameer, cardiologist.
Localized chest pain is rarely cardiac. Such type of pain which increase on movement of nearby joint is mostly muscular pain. You can take a simple pain killer & your pain will go.
I will still advice you have your cardiac checkup in the form of ECG & Stress Echo to rule out any underlying cardiac disease.
Thanks & take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 15 minutes later
i do also take blood thinning tablets as have had embolisms in the past but usually i have been short of breath when blood clot occured which i do not have now, but have a slight pain when i take a very deep breath . Could a muscular pain cause this sympton. would you advise not to continue with physical exercise eg weights.

Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see detailed answer

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

As i said earlier Stress Echo will be a good test for you which can tell u whether the breathlessness & chest pain are because of your heart. Significant Blockage in the arteries of heart result in abnormal stress echo. So it will be good if you get it done.

Chest pain after breathing is rarely cardiac. It is most commonly due to Costochondritis (inflammation of joint between muscle & cartilage of chest wall) or it is the muscle pain only. Some lung conditions can also cause such pain which can be diagnosed by Chest X ray.
Continue taking the blood thinning medication & we generally tell such patients to avoid heavy exercise. Light exercises can be done.

If you have any more question, I'll be happy to help.
Thanks & take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Sameer Maheshwari

Cardiologist