• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for benign hyperplasia of prostate

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Men's Health
Question: My father age is 69 prostate 5x5.1 cm, prostatic volume 65.8 cc 110 ml of pvr noted and impression is prostatomegaly is dangerous
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Benign hyperplasia of prostate

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Your father seems to have benign hyperplasia of prostate (BHP) a condition wherein the increase in size of prostate impedes the flow of urine. It is a common condition that is often seen with advancement in age. As such it is not 'dangerous' but may subsequently lead to difficulty to pass urine. Treatment can be medical or surgical. Treatment with medicines like Rapaflo (silodosin) can arrest the growth in size but would not make the size resolve completely. For a lasting relief you would need to go for surgery. However, TURP (trans urethral resection of prostate) is a simple process where a tube in inserted through your urethra (from where the urine comes out) and that is used to scrape the prostate from inside and thus widen the outlet, thus easing the problem. In case the severity increases you can therefore go for TURP.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Answered by
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1954

Answered : 4439 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Rapaflo

doctor1 MD

I was taking 4mg/day of doxozosin mesyl but had a few incidents of dizzyness during hard exercise. My urologist has tried me on flomax and rapaflo...

doctor1 MD

Hi Dr. Rynne, I have been on doxazosin mesylate for almost two years. I was given the drug by my Internist to control sudden urinary discharges. I...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

192 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha
  • Q - Suggest treatment for severe loose motion

  • Q - Is there any cure for degenerative mucoid cyst associated with...

  • Q - Suggest treatment for chronic severe diarrhea and stomach pain

  • Q - Does Klonopin of a different brand cause any adverse reactions?

  • Q - What causes unusual sweating?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for joints pain in a person with IBS

  • Q - What are the side effects of Superglue injection?

  • Q - Suggest remedy for excessive dryness in mouth

  • Q - Is restarting of Casodex advisable after stopping it?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for severe constipation