Suggest treatment for arthritis and acid reflux while on Indomethacin

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have an acid stomach and have users. I am on Indomethacin for arthritis in my left side os face on my jaw. the Dr says to go off that Nsaid drug n try something else. I have had this for 15 years and this is the only thing that works. Any suggestions/
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
NSAIDS side effect

Detailed Answer:
Good evening

thank you for writing on health care magic

Well, if you are experiencing constant acidity it is better to go off this drug as it can cause ulcer in the stomach...Which if ruptures can be really worrisome...I hope you are taking Antacids along with indomethacin

But I will want to know the exact reason you are taking this drug for...Arthritis is only in the Jaw( Temporomandibular joint) or somewhere else also??? And what sort of arthritis is it??Has any other therapy been tried...

As for the pain, you can take either Ultracet which will not harm the kidneys or Selective Cox 2 inhibitor if the pain intenstity is a lot( something like Etoricoxib)

But do let me know these queries before I can guide you further to a solution

Dr Naval
Follow up: Dr. Naval Mendiratta 27 minutes later
Reply, I have osteoarthritis, cronic: in my joint in the left side of face. this is bone on bone. I have arthritis in my hands and feet. I take creon, florajens3, pantoprazlle, 40mg, indomethacin 75 mg,sucralfate 1G, losart /50/12.5 mg, amlodipine 10 mg.
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Osteoarthritis

Detailed Answer:
Good evening

Sorry for the delayed reply. Had a long day at work

Well, for osteoarthritis Indomethacin is not a good drug...It will harm your stomach more than providing any benefit. The arthritis in hand and feet I am suspecting is again osteoarthritis.

I would suggest you switch to Ultracet for the pain. If the jaw is bothering too much, we may need a bit of surgical intervention. Sometimes they mould the jaw bones so the pain goes of or You can get a local injection in the jaw joint as well

Hope the information was useful

DO let me know for more queries

Dr Naval
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad