Suggest treatment for anxiety

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I have extreme anxiety. I currently have a very demanding job and a herniated disc in my back. I only take OTC pain medications, but with the anxiety over that and my work, my exacerbated heartbeat and mental stress due to this situation is causing me to not be as effective as I typically am, further exacerbating the anxiety. I am seeking a temporary medication to assist with this.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

The most effective treatment for anxiety is an SSRI medication such as escitalopram or sertraline, combined with cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). This is the safest regimen with fewest side effects, no risk of addiction or withdrawal, and the most likely to help relieve anxiety. I recommend seeking out a psychiatrist and therapist in your area to pursue treatment with this recommended regimen.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee