• question-icon

Suggest treatment for an ulcerative colitis

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My 53 year old so. Has received his third infusion treatment for ulcerative colitis. He has lost 50 led, and his wife just told me his colposcopy was clear. He has never even had a stool specimen taken. He is getting sicker and weaker. What to do? I can remember the name of the infusion medication, but it hasn't helped.
Answered by Dr. Sunil 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Colonoscopy is gold standard test to diagnose UC,If colonoscopy was normal why is he being treated for UC?There is smoething wrong in diagnosis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query sir but i am a bit confused Colonoscopy is gold standard test to diagnose ulcerative coilitis.If colonoscopy is normal then how come he is getting treatment for UC.
Remicade is shown to induce and maintain clinical remission in patients with moderate to severe Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis.However if its not effective anti-TNF medications Adalimumab (Humira®) is used.Infact is preffered over Remicade these days.Rituximab can also be used.Don't worry even if a particular meduication had not helped him a number of other are there.

please reclick a better photo and attach it.i can just read nitro on zooming in.

As per your query firstly if coloscopy was normal then how was he labbeled as having Ulcerative colitis?.Kindly attach other investigation or please tell that who diagnosed him as having UC when colonoscopy was normal.

A test named fecal calproctin should be done-Faecal calprotectin is a biochemical measurement of the protein calprotectin in the stool. Elevated faecal calprotectin indicates the migration of neutrophils to the intestinal mucosa, which occurs during intestinal inflammation, including inflammation caused by inflammatory bowel disease.

Follow up with answer and report of this test.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist