Suggest treatment for acne on face

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Pimples. My age is 27 still getting pimples. especially after travelling getting more.

I have the pipmles from the teenage onwards. My age is now 27. from the the past 3 years onwards very less or null amount of pimples in my face. now a days again i am facing small pimples in my face. Please let me know how to get the clear face.

type of pimple: small and having white color inside the pimple. tiny skin color pimples and few having white pus.

I do have bad habbit of using nail and sqeezing the pimple.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Acne vulagris

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query and I have understood it. You seem to have inflammatory acne (papules and pustules)

Regarding Acne, there is no one time solution for acne. You need to be constantly taking care of your skin till at a certain when the tendency for new acne formation dies down, gradually.

Picking and squeezing activity is never going to help and should be strictly avoided. This activity might push the acne deeper and might leave behind unsightly acne marks and scars

Once your acne activity is under control, you need to use a maintenance gel, commonly a topical retinoid, to prevent the new lesions/comedones from developing.

-I usually start my patients of acne on topical benzoyl peroxide gel (e.g Benzac-AC 2.5 % gel) OR Clindamycin gel (e.g clin 3 gel or clindac -A gel) for day time use.

-At night I ask my patients to apply a topical retinoid e.g either Adapalene OR Adapalene+clindamycin combination. e.g Deriva-cms gel contains topical clindamycin along with adapalene in a gel formulation. While it is mainly used for acne, the retinoid component i.e adapalene increases the skin turnover and consequently decreases the contact time of keratinocytes with melanocytes, therefore it does has a lightening effect on post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.

-I also decide to start my patients on oral antibiotics if they have inflammatory acne e.g Doxycycline 100mg once or twice daily OR Azithromycin 500 mg three consecutive days/week for 4-6 weeks. Since you seem to have inflammatory acne, therefore you might be a candidate for oral antibiotics

-A gentle cleanser is recommended for face wash e.g cetaphil cleansing lotion rather than using a soap or face wash.

-You could also opt for a few chemical peeling sessions (Salicylic acid peels) from a dermatologist for acne.

-Oral retinoids (Isotretinoin) can be considered in your case. They are the most effective drugs for acne and are usually first choice in severe or moderately severe acne OR acne not responding adequately to traditional antiacne medications OR acne significantly affecting the quality of life of patients regardless of severity. Oral retinoids and oral antibiotics can be started simultaneously in patients who have inflammatory acne (Azithromycin, can be combined with Oral retinoids)

These are all prescription drugs. Therefore you need to get a prescription for these before trying them

Hope this helps