What causes fordyce spots on the penile shaft?

Posted on Mon, 20 Nov 2017 in Men's Health
Question: Currently have fordyce spots on low shaft of penis. Sometimes after sex they get very irritated and this cancmast for days might happen only anfew times a year. What is suggested treatment to heal then mild burn / itching
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

There are things that can be done to shrink down fordyce spots so that they don't cause as much trouble, and sometimes resolve. These include bichloracetic acid, topical tretinoin (brand name is Retin-A) and oral isotretinoin (Sotret, Claravis). These can be used with or without laser treatments. Some doctors will try to treat with cauterization. All of these treatments require you to see a doctor in person.

For temporary burning from irritation, you can put zinc oxide on them which is soothing and protective. If this doesn't do the trick adequately, apply an over the counter steroid cream (hydrocortisone) - just to the inflamed spots, not to the whole area - and then wash your fingers (or you can use a Q-tip) to reduce absorption of it.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh