Suggest treatment for abdominal pain

Question
Hi, I have some pain that started in my abdomen. I look down at my abdomen, and it's on the left side. It started two days ago. During the day I can function normally, but I notice that there is a discomfort to that area, like something isn't right. I seem to have normal bms, but not at the usual time. I use a heating pad on it at night, but it still keeps me awake. I don't seem to be as hungry as usual.
Sat, 2 Jun 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Zotaj Antoneta 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Advises given

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

The abdominal pain can be caused by many reasons and the most common one is the changes in bowel movement (constipation or diarrhea). The fact that your bowel movement has changed recently might be a contributing factor also.
If you are having bowel movements a little more rare than usual than take some food with fiber like plums and pear and also fiber supplements in the pharmacy. Also sometimes probiotics (enterogermina) can help as they help improve the bowel flora and function.
If you are not better in a few days or develop pain and not just discomfort than you will need a visit with your GP to have a physical exam and better determine the cause of the symptoms.

Sometimes more simple tests like stool for ova and parasites, giardia stool antigen and stool culture might be considered and also abdominal ultrasound.

If no clear cause is identified with those, a good test to do is fecal occult blood test, you need 3 negative ones to consider it negative. It is very reassuring that you had a clean colonoscopy 6 months ago, but if symptoms continue to get worse despite the usual measures to help with it than you will need to have it repeated (the colonoscopy).

So to conclude i would say:
- take some fiber supplements and some food rich in fiber
- take some probiotics also
- if no improvement in a few days or any worsening please see your doctor
- tests might be indicated in this case (explained in detail above)

I hope this answers to your question and is helpful but please feel free to reply in case more clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD