Suggest treatment for abdominal bloating caused by IBS

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have IBS - C like symptoms and my doctor has prescribed me Linzess and I have noticed I take some mild laxative at night and eat easily digestible foods and Linzess in morning, I feel better. If I eat any foods that produce gas or any heavy food, my stomach gas bloated and it feels like a lot of gas has been stomach near my belly region and it feels like there is some strong force in my lower abdomen and my that day gets wasted as I am not able to do anything on that day as it feels very uncomfortable and all this has made anxious too. But mostly I eat foods that I know does not give me any harm. I wanted to ask for how long do I need to continue this. I have been taking linzess for a week. Also Linzess do give me little bloating but with taking that my abdomen is at peace and it feels normal. Can I come out of this anytime ?
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to take it as long as you have symptoms

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

It is good to know that at last you found some relief from your symptoms ( due to IBS-C) by taking Linzess.

You may have to continue taking it as long as you have symptoms.
So continue taking it to keep the symptoms under control.

You have to stop however if you develop side effects like severe diarrhea ( and report to your doctor).

Dr.R.K.
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 14 hours later
Hello Doctor,

I cannot say it is working completely,but it gives some 30-40% relief. I will tell you my 3 main symptoms that I have, first is my stomach remains bloated most of the times and its been going on since 3-4 months,also if I dont take any triphala or sometimes miralax,isapagol or some kind of laxative ,I am not able to excrete much. But with tripahala and other laxatives too.I never feel everything has come out of my body. I have taken heavy doses of Kayamchurna too,but not that much effective. Also I do not feel much hungry because my stomach remains bloated most of the times.Even if I dont eat anything entire day, i do not feel much hungry and stomach remains bloated and it pains a little near my belly region. As I am not able to eat properly, I am not able to do my work properly. My gastro here told me that it is IBS and he had prescribed my medicines for IBS. It feels like there is some force or pressure going on in my abdomen. I have tried a very light and healthy diet. I eat my dinner at 7 pm,and also after taking Tripahala in morning and night, I am not able to go to toilet before 11 am. Also the color and shape and texture is different almost daily. I eat fruits,vegetables, oats, moong dal and khichdi and dosa.I do not eat anything else and then too I do not see any improvement.And there is no shape of the stool. I feel the food is always stuck near my belly region. The gastroenterologist here said it is ibs only. I have never had such problem before.its been 3-4 months now and it's very frustrating. I am following a healthy diet and still not much effect with medicines too. I do not know if it is IBS or not. Because in IBS symptoms I saw if it is constipation,but my stools are not hard,they do not have any shape.And whenever I go to toilet whatever comes out in first straining that what I am able to excrete. After that nothing comes out. It is affecting a lot in my sleep too.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
VSL #3 and Itopride

Detailed Answer:
I have told you in an another conversation that it is IBS-C.

Good that you have started taking Linzess.
In addition to Linzess, also take C.VSL #3 once a day and T.Itopride 150 mg once a day.

You can get Itopride from XXXXXXX

Dr.R.K.