• question-icon

Suggest treatment for a runny nose in an infant

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi Doctor,

My 8th month old baby have got a running nose since yesterday.She was restless the whole night and kept waking up.She is very active during the day.Is there anything we can do which can give her some relief?

Thanking you!!

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Saline nasal drops should help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections. Such infections are frequently associated with an allergic component which may lead to runny nose or nasal blockage. Children of this age are nasal breathers and therefore nasal blockage affects their sleep, making them get up to gasp for air. If cough or nasal discharge is present it is advisable to give some antiallergic like cetirizine once daily for next few days. Use Nasoclear Saline Nasal Drops in case of nose block. Give Nasivion only if steam inhalation does not provide full relief.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 36 minutes later
Thanks Doctor.Is it fine if I give her plain steam inhalation now and If she wakes up at night will use tge Nasoclear drops.Seeking your advice on the duration of the steam inhalation and the dose per nose for the Nasoclear drops.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation would be helpful

Detailed Answer:
Steam inhalation would definitely be beneficial. You can give it for 10-20 mins. No specific dose. Does not need to be given on per-nose basis. just sit with your child on your lap and place the source of steam before you. The water vapor will be in the air and automatically the child will breathe it in. Water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief. Give nasoclear when needed.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician