Suggest treatment for UTI in an elderly person

Dr. V. N. S. Parinam

Posted on Tue, 24 Oct 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My mom has is 88 years old. She's suffered a series of infections this year resulting in two hospitalizations. She's had numerous UTIs treated with a number of antibiotics, several of which have seriously negatively impacted her kidney function that was formerly fine. She's currently fighting c-diff and is on her second two-week course of treatment with flagyl. I'm looking for the best probiotic to help her better tolerate and overcome the negative effects of all these antibiotics. I understand s. boulardii is helpful for c-diff but concerned about potential systemic fungal infection due to her compromised immune system. What do you suggest? thanks.
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
i suggest s boulardii in my patients of this nature

Detailed Answer:

I understand your question and situation of your mom's health.
At this time I suggest S.Boulardii only for your mother as best probiotic.
If you have any doubts regarding a chances of fungal infection you can put them to rest. The fungal infections may arise but not potentially high.
The other alternative is cultured probiotic foods like Kefir and few vegetables with Sauerkraut and Kimchi. Ofcourse yogurts which are natural ways of giving probiotics.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 18 minutes later
You don't recommend that includes lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium as well as s. boulardii? Can you recommend a probiotic that includes these varieties?

We live in Arizona. Is it a good idea to refrigerate the product?

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nexabiotic

Detailed Answer:
I recommend to add Lactobacillus to S. Boulardii but not all three. The advantage is not great with all three. S
You can find NEXABIOTIC MIXED PROBIOTIC with all three strains.
Still C.Difficile is treated with Flagyl with or without vancomycin. These probiotics are supplements only.
Earlier Sachharomyces was given for 4 weeks but now Lactobacillus is been preferred to prevent recurrence.

No need to refrigerate.