Suggest treatment for TB and jaundice

Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi Dr.
I want to ask about my mother. she is suffering from tuberculosis. After taking AKT 4 for two months she is suffering from jaundice. jaundice not going low and stomach is swelling.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably Drug Induced

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing in

It is sad your mother have developed some side effects commonly known with these type of medications

I would like to have the liver function test and an abdominal ultrasound to give a better interpretation

But primarily it appears that she is having side effect of the medicines and I would suggest you stop them and discuss with your doctor for safer alternatives

Await your revert
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 39 minutes later
Lft report attached. After jaundice doctor modified medicine with streptomycin.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Altered Liver Function

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for the followup

I have gone through the reports
They are showing altered liver function and I would prefer waiting with fat free diet and rest

Add a hepato-protective like Hepatogard after talking to your doctor

It might take some time for the LFT to return to normal

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of Concern