Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

129 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for TB and jaundice

Answered by
Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Practicing since :1984

Answered : 922 Questions

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi Dr.
I want to ask about my mother. she is suffering from tuberculosis. After taking AKT 4 for two months she is suffering from jaundice. jaundice not going low and stomach is swelling.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably Drug Induced

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing in

It is sad your mother have developed some side effects commonly known with these type of medications

I would like to have the liver function test and an abdominal ultrasound to give a better interpretation

But primarily it appears that she is having side effect of the medicines and I would suggest you stop them and discuss with your doctor for safer alternatives

Await your revert
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 39 minutes later
Lft report attached. After jaundice doctor modified medicine with streptomycin.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Altered Liver Function

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the followup

I have gone through the reports
They are showing altered liver function and I would prefer waiting with fat free diet and rest

Add a hepato-protective like Hepatogard after talking to your doctor

It might take some time for the LFT to return to normal

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of Concern
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Streptomycin

doctor1 MD

my self having lymphonite on right side of neck diagonsed with tb on att from last 52 days plus streptomycin 1 mg Fnac done twice to check senstivity now advised surgery as lymphonite is red in colour and its swelling what and from where to get it done

doctor1 MD

We found my father got affected by TB 2yrs before. He is having a habit of drinking but now he controlled as much as he can. He took treatment for 6 months in Govt hospital then he got negative in his result. But after a month again he got postive which shows CAT II stage. After that as per docter advised him to take 8 months treatment. he is taking treatment now. They prescribed him to take streptomycin injection along with the pills. Now what my question is Though he is taking the medicine regularly (2 and a half months as of now) he looses his weight from 48 to 39 & he feels lose of appitite, fatigue, he cant even walk for a short distance. I consult the doctors also for his condtion but we didnt get any proper reply. Why he become even more worse after proper taking treatment also. Kindly suggest us what we can do further.

doctor1 MD

Hi sir my mom name is ambujam . In November 2016 she had been admitted in hospital because she felt severe pain in her leg and not able to sit or stand . In the very beginning of her diagnosis they suspected malignancy later after all tests and...

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctors, Good Evening. My mom has been diagnosed with Lymph node TB (swelling of lymp nodes) and Brain TB. Here is the history 2012 - Diagnosed with TB of lungs. TB treatment for 8 months and was cured. Feb 2015 - Diagnosed with lymph node...

doctor1 MD

subject patient is 59 year old female, philippine origin, u.s. citizen, excellent health, flew to manila from new york 10 days ago with two sisters for family reunion. lots of eating traditional foods at hotels and restaurants. swimming in hotel...