Suggest treatment for Sjogren's syndrome in an elderly person

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have been tested for Shogrun (spell?) syndrome. I am 81 years old and surprised I would have this at this advanced age. Maybe it has been overlooked for many years. I have extremely dry eyes and dry mouth.
Please explain what this disease is and how one gets it. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sjogren's Syndrome.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Sjogren's Syndrome is a relatively rare condition that is of unknown origin.

2. There is thought to be a genetic predisposition with added environmental and viral triggers. It is associated with other autoimmune disorders such as arthritis.

3. It is more common in females and usually begins in middle age. Symptoms and signs are initially mild and hence as you have mentioned, diagnosis is delayed in most people.

4. It cannot be cured but can be controlled with medication. Your treatment seems to be fine.

5. The prognosis is good and it barely affects life expectancy. Once it is recognised, it can be managed.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.