Suggest treatment for Parkinson's disease, diabetes, hypertension and gastritis

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I want to take a second opinion on my father's treatment for Parkinson's disease. He also suffers from diabetes, hypertension and gastritis (Antral Gastritis).

His parameters:
Weight: 72 kg,
Height: 165.5 cm,
BMI: 26 kg/sqm,
BP: 140/80 mm of Hg
FBS: 151 mg/dl
HbA1C: 7.1% (31/1/2013) and 6.9% (8/8/2014)

His current prescription indicates:

Clinical Impression: Type 2 DM; Hypertension; and IHD (CAG=MCAD)
Co-Morbidities: Parkinson's Disease; Metformin Intolerance

He has been currently prescribed:
Tab Cardivas (6.25 mg): 1 tab daily before breakfast
Tab Galvas (50 mg): 1 tab daily after breakfast
Tab Pantocid (40 mg): 1 tab daily before breakfast
Tab Pacitane (2 mg): 1/2 tab after breakfast & 1/2 tab after dinner
Tab Urimax D: I tab after dinner
Tab Ecosprin AV (75mg): 1 tab after dinner
Tab Syndopa Plus (125 mg): 1/2 tab after breakfast & 1/2 tab after dinner

He was diagnosed with Parkinsons Disease in year 2011. He is fairly active and goes about his normal routine and business (he sits in his shop for few hours). Lately, he has been experiencing lot of weakness, memory loss and stomach problems. He also has problems in when he is writing as he suddenly loses control of his hand.

I would like to know:
1. If his current medications are alright. Or does it require any changes.
2. Is there any particular diet that he should follow. Or any type of food he should avoid.
3. Is there any recommended exercise for him.

Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow advices as below and consult a neurologist

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Treatment for diabetes needs to be increased as fasting blood sugar is still not in range and requires consultation with a physician or endocrinologist.
Other drugs are ok and require no change except parkinson's medications.
The treatment of parkinson's disease is dependant upon the physical condition and status of patient.
The aim of drug is to help patient lead maximum productive life with minimal possible dose.The decision to increase drug is patient dependant.
In your father's case the drugs can be increased especially syndopa if tolerating and additionally selegiline/rasagiline can also be started.
The diet should be rich in antioxidants, fruits, citrus and balanced with decreased sugar intake.
He should take syndopa in empty stomach to avoid interaction with food.
He should be having regular morning walk, balancing exercises and physiotherapy.
Consult and visit a neurologist for proper follow up and treatment modifications required from time to time as parkinson's is a progressive age related disease.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back with further queries.
regards
Dr Neeraj XXXXXXX
Neurologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj