Can Betacap be taken along with Syndopa?

Posted on Wed, 28 Jun 2017 in Veins and Arteries
Question: Hi, my mom is 76 and she is taking Syndopa plus since last one month (3 times for the 1st 2 weeks and 4 times since then)
Is it advisable to take Betacap TR 40 as she also has Temporal arteritis since last 1&1/2 years. She was on steroids earlier so its fairly under control but she does get pain these days . She stopped steroids about 3 months back &then was on betacap tr 40. She stopped it once she was on Syndopa plus.
Is it safe to take Betacap TR 40 while she is on Syndopa plus?
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Both reduce blood pressure

Detailed Answer:

You were asking about Levodopa and Carbidopa (Syndopa) and Betacap (propronalol). Both of these medicines have additive effect lowering blood pressure. Since she is restarting she may experience some side effects initially. They may include headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and/or changes in pulse rate. The risk can be higher in a 76 yr old.
I suggest to go back to earlier doctor for a change in dose.
Second it is good to time the medicines well with a gap of few hours.
Third if there is pain due to TA (temporal arteritis) it is good to go back to steroids which gives relief in days.
Dr. V. N. S. Parinam