Suggest treatment for 6th nerve palsy

Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Tue, 1 Jul 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I have a problem with vision, I have been diagnosed with 6 nerve neurapthy. vision is terrible. Went to Opthomologist yesterday and says I may get good vision in a few weeks to months. Is there anything that can be done to expidite this process and do I need to get a patch for the left eye that is damaged?
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
6th nerve palsy caused by ischemia will recover.

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir,
Welcome to Health care magic

I am Dr. Dadapeer K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer XXXXXXX problems related to eye.

It seems from the history that you are having 6th nerve palsy. Abducent nerve is the sixth cranial nerve and it supplies the lateral rectus muscle of the eye. The palsy of the sixth nerve causes inability to look on the left side because of paralysis of the lateral rectus muscle. Hence it causes double vision on trying to look on the left side in the affected eye.

The common causes for palsy of this nerve in elderly people are ischemia caused by diseases like atherosclerosis, diabetes, hypertension...
The nerve palsy because of these reasons will improve by itself over 3-6 months as told by your doctor. Use of multivitamins containing Vitamin B complex will help in speedy recovery.
If there is no improvement even after 6 months further investigations like CT scan and neurological evaluation is indicated to rule out neurological causes.
The treatment in the initial stages is by use of prisms or occlusion of the affected eye if double vision is present.

Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you.

Thank you