• question-icon

Suggest treatment for 60% blockage in the LAD artery

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have a 60% blockage in my LAD. How can I reduce that to a much lower #? How low can I get it?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that although a 60% coronary blockage is considered in general clinically non-significant (in the absence of clinical symptomatology), before coming into this conclusion, I would recommend performing one of the following tests:

- a fractional flow reserve (FFR) of LAD through the detected 60 % blockage, just to be sure that no hemodinamically significant consequences are derived from this stenosis
- a nuclear perfusional cardiac stress test to investigate for possible myocardial ischemia.

If one of the above tests results abnormal, then you should undergo angioplasty (a coronary stent implantation) in order to correct the blood flow in this artery.

Otherwise, if you don't have clinical symptomatology and the above tests result normal, then the only thing to do is to follow a healthy lifestyle and use statins (atorvastatin, simvastatin, etc.) and daily baby aspirin.

These tips will help reduce the progression of the blockage, but will not reduce it.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist