Suggest remedy to manage pain after herpes breakout

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: This is my third question to Dr. I am still having excruciating pain from a herpes outbreak! The worst yet! Im using Valcy... it's been almost two weeks. I constantly have to urinate every hour and it burns like hell! I am wondering if I have a bladder infection along with the outbreak. Do I need to go to an urgent care facility?! The pain is unbearable and there seems to be no easing up. I am also taken pain meds with codiene. I have penicillin here, should i take? Nothing is working! HELP!
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most probably UTI, following home remedies;if not getting better,go to ER..

Detailed Answer:
Hi my dear,

I am sorry for the excruciating painful situation you are going through due to herpes outbreak.

1. Herpes is a viral infection, that can reduce immunity, thus, bacterial infection can arise.

2. You are saying to have to urinate every hour and burning like hell. Most probably a urinary tract infection (UTI) is present too. If the pain is unbearable, then, I advise to go to ER to get immediate evaluation and treatment.

3. If I was your caring doctor would advise to carry on some tests first before going for antibiotic treatment:
- urine analysis
- urine culture and sensitivity testing
- abdominal ultrasound.

4. For the moment, I advise to:
- increase water intake
- take urine antacids to ease the burning sensation (they can found as over the counter medications named magnesium citrate)
- take uva-ursi or cranberry teas to ease UTI symptoms
- I would advise to take penicillin only after the testing results as I really want to know if penicillin is among susceptible antibiotics or not.

Hope it was of help!
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 16 minutes later
Thk u so much Dr. I actually stopped drinking water because i didnt want to increase peeing. But i will follow ur expert advice! I really appreciate it!
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please do not stop drinking water,burning will get worse...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back my dear,

No please, do not stop drinking water, because that has caused burning urination. I understand frequent peeing is fastidious, but water will reduce burning as it will dilute the urine. Please bare in mind that infection makes me the urine more acidic. The more water, the less acidic, the less burning.

Wish fast recovery! If no more queries, do not forget to close this discussion and give a positive rating!
Dr.Albana
Dr. Albana Sejdini