Suggest remedy for weight gain and swollen feet when on Zegerid

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My GI doctor prescribed Zegrid (Omerprizale with BiCarb twice a day) , I have had to take the over the counter formula which has 1100 mg of bicarb in each pill which is higher than the prescription dose. I have no personal history of heart disease or congestive heart failure but I have gained 15 lbs in a month and today my feet are swollen like balllons. Is that a lot of bicarb?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Following advice.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

You are taking with Zegrid the maximum daily dose of sodium bicarbonate for an adult and your symptoms (swollen legs) aren't related to large doses of sodium bicarbonate.

It's a good thing that you don't have a positive medical history for heart failure, however you should do a cardiac Echo and pro BNP levels to definitely exclude heart failure.

After reviewing your medical history I notice that you have inflammatory arthritis, anemia and low albumine levels. This findings all together may explain the swollen legs.

If you were my patient I would recommend to do a full renal function evaluation to definitely exclude any nephrotic syndrome (that are manifested with leg edema, weight gain and low albumin levels).

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist