Suggest remedy for persistent vomiting and nausea

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Wed, 4 Nov 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My daughter, who is 22 years old has been suffering with bouts of nausea since August. Lately within the last month, she has has the stomach flu twice and has ended up in the ER. Blood work is clear, Pregnancy test negative, CT scan of belly negative. She is a XXXXXXX in college and this is affecting her ability to function on a daily basis.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
IBS likely

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. With all blood work up normal and history of stomach flu, no worries these are sequelae of gastroenteritis and will pass. Plus stressful life of college is delaying the bowels to regain its proper strength as stress reduces bowel motility and worsens this nausea and cramps in abdomen.

Right now she should be managed on IBS basis. Eating small frequent meals, preferring more fluids and fibers, avoiding processed foods, canned products, fats, dairy products, chocolates, fatty and spicy foods and regular exercises and bowel habits diary to keep an eye on the symptoms. Use of yogurt and peppermint in every meal should be prefered as former is best probiotic and later is best antispasmodic.

Wait and see her symptoms will resolve and improve with passage of time. All her labs are clear so nothing to worry about.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and your daughter and don't forget to close the discussion please.

Khan