Suggest remedy for pain in head and neck while suffering from lymphoma

Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in Cancer
Question: She was diagnosed with stage 1 NHL, MARGINAL LYMPHOMA.
she had no signs of cancer in her last 2 check ups.
suddenly, she had a lump on her neck overnight, with pain in head/ear(of one side of head) and neck.
She is feeling very uneasy and is on her way to vellore and will be there by Saturday morning.
We are very worried.She will go in to emergency as the pain is lot.
We got the earliest appointment in vellore on 13th october.
That will be too late for her, hence she will get into emergency this Saturday morning,
Dr, we want to check with you, if that is the right option or not.
In emergency, does someone from hematology come and attend.
Her history of diagnosis has been very complex.
Please guide us as to wht to do.
Is this a relapse.All the pain in in head and neck, she has 2 more days of travel till she gets in to emergency.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please do not worry. Pain is the emergency, not lymphoma

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear.

Marginal lymphoma is a type of indolent(slow growing) tumors and often relapse. However overnight development of a lump may not be a lymphoma as it is slow growing. Most likely it may be some infected node or boil so go to emergency for some pain killers or antibiotics support.

Even if some how it turns out to be lymphoma after biopsy test, then also you need not to worry. As it can be treated easily again with chemotherapy plus immunotherapy. So no need to panic, keep cool and get he evaluate. You have enough time. No need to hurry.

Thanks and regards.
In case you have further questions, feel free to ask.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj