Suggest remedy for pain and stiffness in knee

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am a 48 year old female. I fell yesterday on my left knee. I lightly skinned my knee, but now on the outside of the knee, toward the ligament in the back, I have a lot of pain when I first stand up or when I try to bend it. I can walk off the stiffness, but it does hurt to bend.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need to get x ray

Detailed Answer:
hello madam,
I have read your case and I think you have hit on the fibula which is small bone on the outer side of the knee. I do not think that it can be a serious issue as it was not a high velocity injury. I would suggest you to get x ray of the knee joint to make sure that there is nothing wrong with the knee joint. There is possibility of hair line fracture or a ligament injury.
Till you get your x ray, I would suggest you to avoid knee bending or standing for the long time. You should apply compression bandage and ice application.
I hope this answer will help you, let me know if you want to ask any further questions.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj