Suggest remedy for low appetite in children while suffering from viral infection

Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: hi my son is 2 year old, and he is suffring from viral but nw he is fine ,but he never take any food and milk properly,nd he is so weak please tell me what i do? his weight is 11 kg. i so much worrried about him? please also suggest me the health tonic for his growth?
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Avoid feeding in between meals, juices, chocolates and increase activity

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to the HCM

I have gone through your question and understand your concerns but don't worry. There are times when your child may have lost his appetite, or does not want to eat at meal time. This can be discouraging and concerning.

If illness is not the cause of the appetite loss, there are several reasons why your child may not be eating. The causes may include:
-your child is eating between meals
-your child is drinking juice or other liquids (other than water) between meals
-your child is exerting less energy than usual.

So, avoid these factors to boost his appetite naturally.

Also, eating in a healthy, positive atmosphere helps children to develop healthy attitudes about food and themselves. Eating together is one way to help your child develop healthy attitudes about food. Avoid food as punishment and make eating a pleasure. Avoid distractions such as television. You may talk to him, sing rhymes to keep him busy while eating.

Give him various choices and understand the food he chooses to eat. Make it more healthy by balancing with carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins and minerals. Make food more attractive by proper presentation.

In case, still it doesn't respond, you may start Syp. Bevon ( 5 ml once daily) to boost his appetite.

Hopefully this will help you.
Follow up: Dr. Archana Verma 2 hours later
thank you so much sir, and i want to ask one question more?
sir i give him calcarea phosp 6x for teething but he always taking any clothes and other things in his mouth,when i stopped him he is so much angry nd cut my hand .some people said to me that this is the calcium deficiency symptoms. please guide me?
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's a behaviour and not sign of calcium deficiency

Detailed Answer:
Hi

The symptoms of your child are due to behavioural problems which are common in this age group. It's not due to calcium deficiency. Also, I won't recommend you calcarea for teething as it's not of much use.

To correct the behaviour, (if it's not harming or self destructive) avoid any attention and unnecessary punishment for this. Also, try to deviate his attention by some attractive toy, games outdoors, singing rhymes, telling stories, etc. Gradually he will grow out of it.

Calcium supplement such as Calcimax or shelcal may be given at this age if his milk and milk products consumption is significantly less.

Hopefully this will help you.