• question-icon

Suggest remedy for lesions in oral cavity?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: dear doctor,
my my is suffering from something in her mouth (see photo attached) what is this ulcer?
kindly explain
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
looks like leukoplakia

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic, I share your concern and I will try to help you out in best possible way.
After careful observation of lesions in oral cavity, I am of the opinion that its leukoplakia, a pre cancerous lesion in oral mucosa. which can progress into cancer.
It is usually caused by chewing of tobacco in different forms, pan chewing etc..
I recommend you to consult an ENT specialist and get clinically evaluated for further management.

Dr. Naveen XXXXXXX
Medical Consultant.
Ebix, Inc.
YYYY@YYYY
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 10 minutes later
it is found in my wife mouth and she is not taking any tobacco .recently see had taken medicine for running nose and I think it is side effects of that medicine?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no medicines are unlikely to cause such lesions

Detailed Answer:
welcome back.
No medicines are unlikely to cause such lesions in oral activity. If she has not consumed tobacco, then there must have been intake of any corrosive material causing such lesions. tell me more about that lesion, Is it painfull...?, does it bleed while brushing or eating..?

Awaiting your response.
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 8 minutes later
it is most painful while eating anything or drinking anything (even water ) and nothing pain happened while talking family doctor has given glycerine and violet solutions 1%w/v and some medicine to cure is it appropriate?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
find the answer below.

Detailed Answer:
welcome again,
Its good to hear that its painful, as cancerous and precancerous lesions are usually not painful and won't subside on taking symptomatic treatment.
You can ask her to use hexidine mouth wash four times a day after food, which should be rinsed in mouth and held inside for 2 minutes and spit it out, after which, she should not even drink water for 30 mins.
If these ulcers subside in a matter of week, its good news and there is no need to panic, if not you have to consult an ENT specialist.
There is no need to use glycerine and violet solutions as hexidine is a better antiseptic and anti plaque lotion. but let me also remind you that, hexidine mouth wash will be very tingling which your wife has to bare.

Dr. Naveen Kumar