Suggest remedy for dry cough and cold

Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 8 Sep 2014 in Child Health
Question: My 5 months old baby girl started dry cough and cold. Took her to doctor and he suggested asthalin syrup and betnesol. Later, child had tremors or shivering in hand and continues after 3 days. Informed doctor and he advised to stop right away and suggested Mucolite and XXXXXXX drops. Child also started cry for long in the night times. Please advice.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Normal saline nasal drops will be helpful

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Mr XXXXXXX

Salam Walekum

Asthalin syrup is known to cause shivering. Betnesol which is a steroid is preferably avoided in infants.
Majority of respiratory infection are self limiting and viral in origin.

Excessive crying is likely to be due to

1. Blocked nose
2. Throat congestion
3. Inadequate feeds
4. Baby feeling cold

I hope the baby is taking feeds adequately and is on exclusive breast feeding.

I would suggest the following

1. Ensure adequate intake of breast feeding. Feed on demands whenever the baby asks for. Mother can also feed while in lying position. This will be comforting to baby, as it will get both nutrition and warmth from mother.

2. Cover baby appropriately

3. Normal Saline Nasal drops: ( Nasoclear) 3 drops in each nostril 4 times a day. It will help clearing the blocked nose

4. Continue medication as advised by your Pediatrician

5. Normal Saline Nebulization: You can buy a Nebulizer which is easily available(it will also be helpful in future, as respiratory infection do occur in children quite often).

6. Check if there is any diaper rash: Presence of diaper rash is also cause of excessive crying.

Do keep me updated

Take Care

Best Regards
Dr Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 hours later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX

Thank you for your prompt response. The baby is currently administered with 5 drops of Mucolite and XXXXXXX 3 times a day. We have started it today after I have been asked to stop taking asthalin and betnesol syrup but the cough is severe since morning and she could sleep but waking up due to cough. Should we need to worry about it and how about the shivering because of asthalin, will it occur again.
Thanks in advance,
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Discontinuation of Asthalin has helped, shivering will not recur back.
Cough will persist for couple of days, do not worry about it.

If the following criteria are fulfilled there is no cause for concern
1. Accepting feeds well
2. Absence of high grade fever
3. Sleeps well
4. Respiration is quite and normal

Do keep me updated about progress

Take Care

Deepak