Are Asthalin, Duolin and Budecort safe for treating asthma in a toddler?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Tue, 22 May 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hi ...My 2 year 11 month daughter has been diagnosed with asthama and undergoing treatment for last 7 months. Last 2 months she has got 3 asthama attacks and once she was hospitalized...Now her pediatrics has given 1 puff of Asthalin, 1 puff of Duolin every 6 hours for 7 days and 1 puff of budicort twise which will continue. Apart from that he has prescrbed Sinulair 4 (montelukas) and Nassonex nasal drop to continue...With our observation we have found her asthama attacks are coming from Allergy. Can you please advise these medicines are fine/safe for her age and for this treatment?She is already taking Asthalin and Budecort for last 6 months.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your treatment is going on in perfect lines

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... by what you got I feel that your child has got multitriggered wheeze and the treatment is going on in perfect line.

Suggestions:
1. There are certainly alternative management therapies in allopathy now-a-days. Medicine has advanced a lot and allergic wheezing like this is 100% controllable.

2. Inhalers are the newest management strategies for this. If I were your paediatrician I would have suggested the use of Budecort metered dose inhaler (100mcg) 2 puffs twice a day through a spacer and this is for regular use for 8 weeks. Another metered dose inhaler is Levolin (Asthalin and Levolin are almost the same) and this can used as rescue therapy whenever the kid is having severe cough in spite of regular usage of Budecort. The technique is very important and very crucial for the drug to be delivered correctly to the lungs. Regularity of medicine usage also matters a lot. So do not discontinue abruptly after you notice some improvement. The technique of administering an inhaler using a spacer has to be taught to you by your doctor and these are prescription medicines. So I suggest you consult your paediatrician for this.

3. Triggers can be environmental changes/ dust/ talcum powder/ seasonal changes/ un-cleaned a/c vents/ cold weather etc....we can specifically say this is the cause - unless we observe the kid closely - best person is the parent.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana