Suggest remedy for diabetes and fluctuating glucose levels
Sorry to note your father's medical problem.
Persistent low glucose that does not respond to repeated attempts to raise it to normal with oral food sources, is a medical emergency. I understand he was just discharged from the hospital. But I suggest you take him to the ER again.
I have trained my patients in the use of an emergency injection called Glucagon until ambulance arrives.
His glipizide is the most likely cause of the sugar drops. When I see a patient like him in my practice, I advise them to stop glipizide immediately.
Once his glucoses are stable in the normal range, then he must see an endocrinologist in person to comprehensively evaluate why he is prone to such severe low glucose reactIons.
This entails a thorough physical examination followed by blood tests such as
8 am cortisol
Then a long term plan can be made based on the results of these tests to arrive at a better choice of medications for him which will make low sugar reactions less likely
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Blood glucose levels in diabetes
- Pre diabetes blood glucose
- Diabetes tooth extraction glucose level safe
- Gestational diabetes symptoms and glucose levels 171
- Non diabetic glucose level chart
- Glucose and diabetes
- Diabetes type 2 glucose levels
- Diabetes overheating and glucose levels
- Pre diabetes glucose levels
- Pre menstrual glucose levels for non diabetics