• question-icon

Suggest remedy for constipation

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: This is embarrassing. Lately, I cannot have a normal bowel movement. The feces comes halfway out and I have to literally go up there with tissue paper and try to pull it out. What I am pulling out is very hard and round. Once removed the regular movement can take place, although with soreness that doesn't disappear for several hours. (I have bowel movements 2-3 times per week.) I am approx. 20 lbs. overweight and am 71 yrs. old. My diet is mostly fast food and I drink 4-5 cans of Pepsi per day and smoke 1 1/2 packs of cigarettes per day. No alcohol or drugs. I also work 72 hours a week for the past 10 yrs. I know the diet and cigs. have to go but would that be the obvious reason for this predicament?

Thank you for your time and effort.

XXXXXXX XXX
000000
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
constipation with fecal impaction is the likely possibility of hard stool.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,

From the facts you have posted here,it seems you are having constipation with passing of hard stools.

Means there is likely possibility of constipation with fecal impaction as you have only 2 or 3 bowels movements per week.

For this, I would suggest you to take plenty of water, foods like vegetables, fruits, and leafy vegetables on every day as it will make your stool bulky and soft by retaining water in it thus leading to easy passage of stool.

And also make a HABIT of going to toilet everyday as if you skip bowel motion for one day, the retained stool becomes hard on the next day.

Take antacids like pantoprazole or esomeprazole (Nexium) before half an hour of meal with digestive enzymes (Unienzyme) which are available over the counter. It will be helpful for digestion and if you have gastric upset due to fast foods.

Or it is always better to avoid fast foods and cold drinks.

Even after trying this if you still have difficulty in passing stool,you can take stool softeners like syrup lactulose or cremaffin plus 3 TSF at bed time to have soft and effortless bowel motions in the morning.You can consult to your doctor for the prescription.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Sandip Kabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Sandip Kabra