• question-icon

Suggest remedies for swelling in the tongue

Posted on Mon, 3 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: yes thank you. the left side of my tongue is sore and seems to be swollen. I bit my tongue about 4 days ago, i thought that was the cause but the swollen-ness has not gone away. Im not sure if i just accidentally bit my tongue as we all do from time to time or, if i bit my tongue because it was getting swollen but i did not know.
the problem seems to be underneath the left side of my tongue. Yesterday i had a little white patch in that area, once i used the listerine in the morning the white patch went away, but the soreness and swollen-ness persist
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Tiwari 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to be worried . Follow few measures .

Detailed Answer:
Hello Insightu.

Thanks for consulting Healthcaremagic.
This is Dr. Priyanka tiwari answering your query.

I have read your query and understand your concern. As far as swelling and soreness of tongue is concerned, yes this can be due to accidental biting. Sometimes it takes few days to recover. There is nothing to be worried so much I will suggest you few measures to speed up recovery:
-Do warm saline rinses 2 to 4 times a day .
-Dont take Hot and spicy food .
-Apply ointment containing choline salicylate and cetalkonium chloride gel on tongue 2 to 3 times a day .
- Avoid chewing from left side for few days .
- For pain and swelling you can take Analgesic like Diclofenac sodium with serratiopeptidase consulting with local doctor .

Hope this will help you .
If you have further query i will hppy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Tiwari 58 minutes later
I will follow your direction, and hopefully it will clear-up soon. Of course i have bit my tongue before but, it always has healed within two days.Perhaps using the Listerine irritated the area. One more question... can i use salt to gargle with? Thank You Dr XXXXXXX Tiwari. I will get back to you and let you know how it turns-out. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Tiwari 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can do salt water gargle and apply ointment on tongue .

Detailed Answer:
Hello .
Welcome XXXXXXX .

I have read your query . Yes you can do salt water gargle as i have already suggested you to do warm saline rinses that is same measure . Dont use listerine you can apply ointment gel containing choline salicylate with cetalkonium chloride or lignocaine gel as available over the counter to 2 to 3 times a day.
Follow these measure and let me know about recovery .

Get well soon .
Hope this will help you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Priyanka Tiwari

Dentist