question-icon

Suggest remedies for pain after total knee replacement procedure

Posted on Thu, 3 Nov 2016
Question: I Had had TKR 2 years ago and still have pain. Second opinion surgeons seem reluctant to criticize each other. Using MRI and Catscan have been rejected as diagnostic tools.
I also have arthritis in my neck which is also painful. I have been prescribed Gabapentin, which according to "Google" does not seem to be the right stuff and has side effects which worry me.
What do you suggest? XXXXXXX W.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu (8 hours later)
Brief Answer:
MRI knee joint is required to reassess the joint pathology

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir

I can certainly understand your concern.

Persistent pain after TKR after 2 years should warrant a through reevaluation.

It's very important to get a MRI scan to assess the joint and any fresh pathology.

Gabapentin and Ibuprofen cannot be used to control knee joint pain although it's good for cervical pain.

Further management if any is largely based on MRI scan.

Post your further questions if any.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu (7 hours later)
I have understand that a MRI is not effective in the presence of all the metal in a replaced knee. What kind of MRI are you recommending? If Gabapentin and Ibuprofen are not appropriate for pain control, what is appropriate?
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu (24 hours later)
Brief Answer:
CT scan or an Arthroscopy will be helpful

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir.

Few prosthetic materials can be MRI compatible.

But this can be difficult to assess and beyond your knowledge of understand.

Hence I either suggest CT scan or an arthroscopy to assess the joint pathology or to rule out periprosthetic fracture.

Transdermal Fentanyl can help you to obtain adequate pain relief.

Please check with your physician if he shares my view and if can prescribe these medications to you.

Post your further questions if any.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Suresh Heijebu